Dared To Discovery

My heart pounded as I walked briskly up the cracked path to the old vacant house. Why had I decided to come up here anyway? Just for a dare?

I followed the worn pathway which lead around the house to the back yard. A rusty gate swung loosely in the wind. My friends and I had come up here plenty of times, why did it seem so spooky now?

I ducked through the loose wire into the neglected backyard. The overgrown hedges hung limp, despite the forceful wind, and the long grass crunched under my shoes like gravel.

"All I have to do now is to climb through a window and take the golden key which hangs from the hook next to the fire place" I said to myself "Then give it to my friends. Then they will know I am not terrorized by this place"

I clambered through the unkempt native bushes, and entered through the densely covered archway to the deserted house.

The broken window was large and I easily slid through it. Inside it was dark, cold and quiet. I rummaged through my backpack and clicked on my torch.

Every wall of the room was clothed heavily with aged photographs, paintings and elegant tapestry works.

I walked into the next room
and saw the key hanging by the fireplace. I grasped the key tightly then made a start for the window.

On the moonlit floor I caught sight of a gap in the floor boards. Instantly I crouched down and prised them open with my fingers.

I looked down into the black empty space, then suddenly I felt myself falling down further and further away. The key slipped from my fingers and disappeared into the darkness.

I landed with a bump. Then I opened my eyes, to discover myself sprawled on the floor next to my bed, clutching my pillow.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!