Harder Than You Think

Putting on a harness for abseiling is harder than you may think especially when your instructor is someone like Tim. They give you pep talks and loads of safety speeches. If only I listened to them.
Freezing cold water gushed down upon my tiring body.
“Great job Tahnee!” Tim shouted trying to be heard over the echoing waterfall.
My rope was swaying in the breeze as I bunny hopped down the slippery face of the waterfall. I looked downward and as soon as I did my stomach lurched with fear. The view was amazing! Several waterfalls cascaded down into a small pocket of crystal clear water. I started to slip so I quickly jabbed my hand on to a tiny ledge in the hope it would stop me from slipping. Instead of stopping me it cut my hand. A yelp of pain pierced the air.
“You alright Tahnee,” Tim called out.
I looked at my hand to survey the damage. A deep cut was dripping with ruby red blood. As a result of panic I lost my footing and there was a long creak. I plummeted about two metres before I came to an acute stop. My striped rope had saved me by catching onto a ledge. Gasps of fear and Tim’s instructions filled the air but all I could hear was the speedy beats of my heart.
Travelling in the ambulance to the nearest hospital is harder than you may think especially when your medic is someone like Carl. They give you pep talks and instructions. I wished I listened to them.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!