Katy's Dream Come True

Katy, a ten year old girl, heard a strange sound one night outside her house. So she snuck outside to see what it was. When she got there she saw a glimpse of a mare and a colt. She tried to catch up, but they were gone. Early that following morning she got her Dad’s horse and rode off to look for them. First she searched down near the river, but there was no sign of them. Then she searched the mountain, but still no sign. “I guess it’s time to go back,” she said to her father’s horse, Indigo.

When Katy got back she went to sleep. Later that morning she woke up and went into the kitchen. Her father sat down at the table with her and talked about getting her own horse. Katy loved the idea, but she thought about it for a second. Katy had asked her parents before, if she could get a horse and they said no, so why now? “Why wasn’t I allowed to get a horse when I asked you last year?” she enquired. “Well last year we didn’t want to get another horse because it would be too expensive. The reason we are letting you get one now is because Milo passed away,” said Dad.

Milo was Katie’s Shetland pony. She had chosen Milo when he was eight months old, and had lived with him all her life. She had found it hard to say good-bye. “Dad,” she stopped, “I’m not sure if I’m ready to get another pet.”
“Well you should go and think for a moment,” said Dad. Katy ran outside to do just that. Then she knew what to do. That night she snuck out and got Indigo. She went to the river and found the mare and colt. Katy slid off Indigo’s back and walked over to them. The colt happily trotted towards Katy, while his mother stayed very still. Katy walked over to the mare and patted her on the forehead. Then she said “Good night” and rode off.

In the morning Katy told her father that she had seen a horse last night and that the mare was beautifully tempered. Katy went to school and came back in the afternoon. Then she rode down to where the mare and colt were, to say hello.

Early that night Katy heard another sound and went outside to investigate. She found the colt standing there, alone. Katy got Indigo and followed the colt to where his mother was. Katy saw the mare lying down in the long grass. She had been shot by a hunter. Katy called the vet and her father on her mobile phone. She had saved the mare’s life. So her father said she could keep the mare and the colt. She named them Mickey and Lightning and they had the best life they could get.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!