Mysterious Mountains

Finalist in the 'Something With Bite 2010' competition

The sun was sparkling exquisitely across the crystal blue sky. There were only one or two happy clouds coming to say hello. The birds were singing a very tranquil song up on the shaking branches of a nearby tree and this is where my story begins.
My friends and I had spent the day hiking in these amazing mountains and had stopped to have a drink and listen to the wonderful birds singing when a faint buzz was heard from Grace’s watch. “We have to go now if we’re going to get to the end of the track,’’ Grace said impatiently. So off we went hiking through the rocky and bushy mountains. Our surrounds were amazing. We walked for about an hour until we came to a terrifying, rocky cliff.
“I guess we’ll have to go back the other way,’’ I said exhausted. So back we wandered until we came to a swinging wooden bridge near some fruit trees. We all snatched a juicy red apple to gobble as we began to cross the bridge. When we were half way across the bridge it started to wobble terribly. We froze wondering what would happen next.
Snap! The bridge began to collapse. Elizabeth who was in front was just about to drop into the misty water at the bottom when thankfully the bridge stopped. There was no time to waste so I shouted, “Let’s try and swing ourselves around onto the rope railing and climb up the side of it like a ladder. Then we can pull the rest of us up once the first person reaches the top.” If you had seen us climbing up the side of the ladder you would of mistaken us for monkeys. After the long terrifying climb it was 7.30pm and all we could think about was sleep.
After midnight however we woke up to thunder booming through the clouds and saw something slimy and green hiding behind a small tree stump. We all sat up and stared in amazement. “Hi!’’ Mitchell said in surprise.
An amazing creature emerged and said, “I have been watching you pass these mountains and I think it’s time I tell you about the secret red button’’. Its slimy fingers grabbed my hand and led me to edge of the cliff. Terror passed through my brain. Suddenly he started to climb down and before long he reappeared with a little button. We all watched anxiously as the creature slowly pushed it down. To our surprise a bridge appeared in front of us. Our new green friend explained the power of the red button. It was only for visitors who respected the beauty of the mountains and would stop those who came to harm them.
“We will respect your mountains and keep the secret of the red button,” we gratefully told the monster.
The red button allowed us to safely travel deeper into the mysterious mountains revealing great delights and stories we would share forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!