Dark Below Me

I pushed my legs to go faster and faster. Darkness surrounded me. I could feel something breathing on the back of my neck, leaning over my shoulders. I stumbled over a root from a tree and fell on my face. I felt the wet leaf litter against my cheek.

My heart started to beat faster as I heard the trees and bushes rustling in front of me. I sat up but I had hardly any energy left in my body. I had no idea what to do next…

I stood up and took a few steps forward, breathing deeply. Sweat was dripping down my face. Then it happened again – the trees were rustling and I heard the birds fly out from the branches high above.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a bright flash and a breeze blew on my face. It was like someone had quickly flashed a torch at me. For a second my heart stopped and I froze. I knew that I wasn’t alone…

Everything seemed to happen so fast. All I could remember was dodging the thick trees and I tried not to trip again on the roots and vines. Everything started to get foggy and I had trouble seeing were I was going.

Suddenly I felt something cold grab me. My whole body jerked back.
Something pulled me back under a tree trunk. I got cold shivers up my spine and I felt goose bumps covering my body.
Then I realized it was a human, he started talking calmly.

“Don’t be frightened! I won’t hurt you. Just stay still while the bear passes. You are very lucky that I heard you. Otherwise you wouldn’t be here.”
I was shocked, relieved but confused all at the same time.

I tried to talk but I was still gasping for air. It felt like nothing was getting inside my mouth and to my lungs.
He pulled me closer to him and turned me around so my back was leaning against the tree trunk.
All I could feel was the bark from the tree, poking into my skin.

It was so quiet. I could hear him breathing. He smelled like fresh mint and he kept so still.
It was then I realised that I could breathe again and that I was no longer frightened or sweating.
So I leaned back on his chest and he gently wrapped his cold arms around my waist.
Slowly my eyes closed shut.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!