Badger


I guess you wouldn’t really expect to come across a badger that talks, but that’s exactly what happened to Connie. Let me explain…. It was a typical summer's afternoon, a warm breeze was erupting. Connie sat staring into the bush. She sighed, got up and went into the house. She went into a room, filled with books and papers, piled over old magazines and newspapers. But nestled above all that on a small, round desk, sat a box. A warm fluffly blanket poked out of the side. Connie looked inside the box. There sat a baby badger, its eyes half closed. Connie had saved it from people cutting trees. Connie moved the blanket. The badger stirred, slowly, her eyes opened, revealing a blue colour. The badger made a soft purring sound. “Hello, little one” The badger turned her small head and looked up at Connie. "Mm? Mum?" the badger said. Connie’s eyes widened. “Y-you can talk?” She whispered. The badger nodded vigioursly. ‘Mum?’ It said again. Connie shook her head. “Your mums in the bush.” She said. ‘Why I here?” “I – I saved you from people destroying your home.” Badger nodded. ‘What time?’ she said. Connie was taken by surprise. It wasn’t everyday a badger asked what time it was. “It’s six thirty” Connie said. Now the badger was surprised. ‘It meal time yet?’ her head was cocked to one side like a dog. Connie smiled, realising what the badger meant. “Yes, it is. I’ll go and get the food.” And she hurried out of the room.
Connie looked after her everyday. One day, Connie knew that the time had come to release her. They went out into the bush together. When they got there, she looked up at Connie. “Goodbye, Connie” She said softly. Connie patted her fluffy fur. “Bye, B-
But before Connie could say more, her voice was drowned out by the groaning and roaring sound of a big truck. Connie and the badger looked up, and saw what Connie had seen when she first saved Badger. The trucks were roaming about everywhere, cutting down trees. A tree fell down right in front of them. “Run!” Connie said, grabbing Badger, and ran through the forest. As she did, a truck blocked her way. Connie ran another way through the forest, not knowing where she was going. She turned, but another truck got there first. A man spotted her. “What are you doing here?” He yelled. “It’s dangerous!” “Animals have a right to live here to!” Connie said almost in tears, waited. Then the man said “Fine. We’ll leave and your badger here.” And he left, and the other trucks followed behind. Connie hugged badger. “You’re safe” She whispered. Another badger came out from a bush. The badger stopped. “Banny? Is that you?” She whispered. Banny turned and jumped out of Connie's arms. ‘Mum!’ Banny said. Connie smiled, knowing that this was the end, but happy that they were all safe.

Don’t stand there. Make a change.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!