War

The air is thick with smoke.I hear the cries of wounded soldiers and the repetition of guns, exploding bombs and the screams of young men. All we can do is watch others as they pray for survival.

I close my eyes and pray that we will be safe in our little dark trench. It takes all the courage in my quivering body to peek over the cold trench wall. The battle scene is horrifying. I crumple to a heap, I'm terrified.

I cover my eyes. I can't bear to look. There is another cry. It is a familiar sound. I have to look. Slowly, my eyes open. There is a young man lying on the muddy ground. It's my best friend Scott. "No!, you can't die! You can't! No,no,no" I scream in anger.

I get out my machine gun and wedge it into a crevasse at the top of the crumbling trench wall. The gun begins to rattle. I don't care where I'm aiming. I shoot and shoot and shoot. Night arrives and a cool breeze lulls me to sleep.

I'm woken by a huge thunderous explosion. It's a massive bomb. I jump up and sprint away from the enormous sound. Behind me is a threatening, gassy ball of flames that swallows everything in its path. I run faster and faster but the heat travels more quickly.

Oh no! In front of me is an electric wire fence. I stand and watch the flames engulf the entire landscape. I close my eyes and wait for a painful death...but it doesn't arrive. The fire has already extinguished itself. I cough and splutter as I walk through the smoke.

Suddenly I stumble over something hard and metallic, I look down and see an enormous Hummer half buried in the dirt. It has two massive rocket launchers on top and a wide storage area in the back. There is and old tent in the back so I tear it up quickly and cover up the windows. It is the perfect place for a hideout.

Next thing I hear a revving sound. I spring to the window to see what it is. There are five heavily armoured jeeps speeding towards me, they don't look too friendly! I have two choices, sit and wait to see if they pass or...

I jump out the door quickly and onto the roof of the Hummer to prepare to fire the rocket launchers. I hit the launch button but nothing happens. The enemy spot me and open fire. Th earth begins to rumble and a deafening sound of machinery comes closer and closer. Suddenly the enemy turns around and heads in the opposite direction. Three jets shoot past me and missles head towards the enemy. A feeling of relief comes over me as a rescue helicopter follows.

I jump off the roof of the Hummer and wave my arms frantically...I'm going home!


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!