Sam's Secret

Sam was thrilled to bits. He had a wide smile painted across his eager face showing all his pearly white teeth. He prodded at the envelope; trying to ensure himself he wasn’t having a wild hallucination. Finding no loop hole; frantically he tore at the mysterious mauve letter.
BANG! The first words exploded in his uncomprehending brain; his charming smile turned into an anxious frown, the sparkle in his usually playful eyes quickly disappeared; he swallowed hard, fighting back the inevitable tears.
This can’t be, surely not, this has got to be a joke …
The feared words on the violet paper read:
‘SUPER SKATEBOARD PARTY’
The tears were coming, Sam’s sapphire eyes glazed. He held a dark secret inside his soul… nobody knew about it apart from Jake, his friend; his very best friend.

Sam, believe it or not, couldn’t ride a skateboard. Jake had found this out when he saw Sam strolling in the park and called to him, “Sam let’s see what you can do on a skateboard” Sam sported a bloody leg and a fractured arm for his efforts and a very, very bruised ego . “Never , ever again”, vowed Sam .

The invitation was from ‘Jake’ .It was scrawled hurriedly but lovingly across the invite. Sam knew, despite his solemn vow, he had to go; he couldn’t snub a friend like Jake. Well maybe he could come down with a deadly plague or something. No, he knew there was no excuses, no getting out of it. Disappointing a very best friend was a despicable thing to do; unforgivable.
The deadly day came. Sam was in the changing rooms holding the skateboard .Fiery flames adorned it and underneath was a miniature flashing light. “Pretty cool “Sam thought.

“How did I get myself into this?” “I’ll never be able to live this down,” Sam thought. He looked at the perpetual, ‘death-defying’ obstacle course in front of him.
Every skateboarder in the park had stopped pulling off their tricks and stared at Sam when they heard that Sam had been ‘challenged’ to do the ‘death-defying’ obstacle course. Most of them had heard the ‘EGO’ story.
Sam gulped, stood on the skateboard with a wobble, (which resulted in sniggers,) and pushed off. He closed his eyes shut, waiting for his nose to break but it surprisingly didn’t. He opened his eyes, what was happening? He screamed.
Everybody’s jaw dropped, WOW! Sam had an extremely perplexed look on his face. He looked back at the course he had just unbelievably completed. The audience stared in awe, well utter disbelief actually. Sam looked as if he was going to faint; there was a moment of silence and then a humongous cheer, the euphoric crowd rushed towards him.
Jake had a wide grin on his face; he got the control from behind his back and steered the skateboard into the lockers. Now it was Jake’s turn to have a little secret of his own. , just like best friends should .



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!