Never Together Forever

Finalist in the 'Something With Bite 2010' competition

The mystery of the enchanted wood compelled me forward, more powerful than the allure of a sirens song to a sailor. I had forgotten what I was looking for, my mind cloaked itself in denial.
Here, in the place where she could make direct contact, my muse whispered the vile truth into my ear, triggering all suppressed memory. “Temptation. You gave in to temptation. Now, stupid girl, you may have lost everything.”
I sprinted, almost faster than my legs could carry me -- nothing else mattered, I had to find him. The untouched forest floor rustled at my disturbance. His name echoed through my head over and over. Bracken… . . Bracken.
I grasped at an overhanging tree branch and jumped, hoisting my weight up onto the sturdy bough and stood up, clinging to the trunk. A godly mist hung in the air, making it hard for me to see, but my desperation pushed me to search through it. A shadow materialised, similar to that of a human form. I didn’t even remember jumping down, but the next thing I knew I was on my feet and running full speed.
Rounding a corner, I saw my deepest fears confirmed. She was beautiful, her chestnut fur was sleek on her lioness body, and her human head sprouted hair as gorgeous and wild as a lions mane. She was the most cryptic of gods, and just then, in my opinion also the most evil.
The sphinx stood in front of him, obscuring my view of Bracken. All that was left in my line of vision was his hand, lying limply on the dirt. had to save him. Her head tilted to the side, the gods sadistic smile brought tears to my eyes.
“He’s mine! Give him back, you can’t have him!” I wailed.
Her smile grew wider.
The sphinx seemed amused. “Will you take his place?”
My love or my life?
I didn’t even need to think twice. “What are your conditions?” I choked out in-between sobs. The magnificent creature openly laughed and without further explanation, began to speak.
“I’m yours as long as you will it.
Even when you possess nothing else, I will still be there to cradle you to sleep.
From peasant to prince, I wrap in a security blanket of maintained sanity.
What am I?”
The life of my everything depended on my answer to a riddle. I knew I wouldn’t be able to remain silent forever, but the answer just wouldn’t come to me. Bracken’s life was like sand, slowly trickling through my fingers, and the harder I tried to salvage it, the faster it fell.
Suddenly, I felt the presence of my muse and refreshed inspiration flooded my veins. Through my tears, I smiled back, clearly wishing for her to spend the rest of her existence rotting in hell.
Then, praying to the high heavens I was right, I spoke - leaving everything I held dear in the hands of destiny.
“Faith.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!