Ugly

Everyone in the apartment knew who Ugly was. Ugly was a stray dog. Ugly loved two things in the world: Eating garbage and love.

He only had one eye and he was also missing his ear on the same side. His left foot appeared to have been broken at one time and healed in an unnatural position. His tail had been cut leaving only the smallest stub which he would constantly jerk and twitch.

Ugly would have been a dark gray, except for the sores covering most of his body with thick, yellowing scabs. Every time someone saw ugly there would be the same reaction, "that's one UGLY dog."

All the children were warned not to touch him. The adults threw rocks at him, hosed him down and squirted him when he tried to go into their homes

Ugly always had the same reaction. He would lay down in forgiveness and not mind getting soaked. He would then bump his head onto your hand begging for love.

One day Ugly shared his love with the neighbour’s huskies. They did not respond kindly and Ugly was badly mauled. From my apartment I could hear his screams, and I tried to rush to his aid. By the time I got there he was laying, it was apparent that Ugly's sad life was almost to an end.

His back legs and lower back twisted grossly out of shape, a gaping tear in the white strip of fur that ran down his front. As I picked him up and tried to carry him home, I could hear him wheezing and gasping. I must be hurting him terribly I thought.

Then I felt a familiar tugging-sensation on my ear. Ugly in so much pain and obviously dying was trying to lick my ear. I pulled him closer to me and he bumped the palm of my hand with his head. Even in his greatest pain, the ugly wounded dog was asking for only a little compassion.

At that moment I thought that Ugly was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. Never once did he try to bite me or even try to get away from me. Ugly just looked at me, totally trusting in me, to relieve his pain.

Ugly died in my arms, but I sat and held him for a long time thinking about how one dog could alter my opinion so much about what it means to have true spirit, to love so truly. Ugly taught me more about giving and compassion more than a million books ever could and for that I will always be thankful.

He had been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred on the inside. It was time for me to move on and learn to love truly and deeply. To give my total to those I cared for.

Many people who want to be richer, more successful, well liked, beautiful, but for me I will always try to be ugly.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!