Sad Days

Ever since father passed away mother had been distressed. Our little cottage by the sea was in desperate need of attention. Father had always been the worker in our lives. Now he was gone it was falling to bits. There were only two rooms. You might think it would be a tight squeeze but I thought it looked very cosy. Life was tough and my mother and I were struggling to survive on the small portions of food we could barely even afford.

That early morning the wind was cold. I could feel the frost freezing the insides of my old tattered brown shoes. As I was getting ready to leave to throw father's ashes, mother came scrambling out, bundled up in warm clothes and blankets. Nevertheless, she looked as pale as a ghost. "I'm coming with you!" she announced stubbornly. As much as I tried to persuade her to go back in she stayed rooted to the spot. In the end I clutched her hand and made our way slowly to one of the cliffs looming up in front of the sea. Our palms were sweaty as I guided mother up the cliff with the bottle containing father's ashes gripped tightly to my chest.

Once we reached the top, we stood there for a few seconds, taking in the sights around us. Birds chirped,the trees swayed in the breeze and the waves rippled as they gently lapped the shore.I carefully opened the bottle and softly grasped a handful of ashes. Mother did the same. Slowly we flung them out into the air. The ashes danced lightly to the sea below. Tears formed in mother's eyes as I hugged her deeply. Father's ashes may have disappeared but he would be treasured in our hearts forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!