Waiting

He waited joyously.

From the enclosed shelter, he observed a variety of cars roll out onto the outstretched bitumen to either side of him. The larger four wheel drives seemed to lumber up to speed, slowly dragging their immense weight, whilst the smaller Excels and Barinas seemed much more upbeat about heading home. However the manner of each vehicle, they would take it in turn to slowly accelerate down the street and around the corner, all disappearing from both sight and earshot until he was left alone.

He waited eagerly.

The afternoon sunlight filtered through the trees, and just slipped past the top of the tin roof, catching on his black soccer boots. He playfully swung his feet in a pendulum motion, testing the warmth of the light. It was a welcome relief in the winter setting, and it helped dry the accumulated moisture in his shoes.

Tuesday was his second favourite day, next to Saturday of course. He would spend each Saturday with his mother, and this day always seemed to make the brief, however enjoyable experience of school soccer training seem less significant. Lately, his father had devoted most of his attention to the new girlfriend, leaving little for the boy. This afternoon, however, his father had promised McDonalds. The boy didn’t seem to realise the fragility of a promise.

He waited hopefully.

Watching the sun disappear over the tips of the trees at the end of the street, the boy savoured the last of the sun’s warmth before feeling the cold set in on his damp jersey. Looking along the street, he noticed a figure walking the footpath. Most probably a man, he thought. The strong built and eerie appearance seemed to suggest masculinity and a hint of cruelty, although the boy wasn’t sure in the faded light. However, as the figure moved closer, he felt anxiety creep throughout his body. Surely, this was not a positive indication of the man’s character.

The boy kept an unfixing gaze upon him, watching him grow ever closer. He squinted in the failing luminance to try to distinguish the figure more clearly, although the sky’s glow seemed to dissipate at just the right rate to prevent him from seeing in detail. Swiftly, the sun’s beam had been overtaken by the darkness which dominated the landscape. From the black, the sound of the figures scraping boots echoed out. Shuddering, the boy lifted his legs up into his chest and receded within himself.

Without hope, without eagerness, without joy, he waited.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!