Technology - Friend Or Foe

I believe that technology is a friend rather then a foe. After all, where would we be with out technology? From the phone to the computer to the new pad, there will always be new technology to come for years. Without technology we wouldn’t even have the pen. Take the wheel for example; it was invented by cavemen before years were even invented. Cavemen also invented tools to make the wheel with like a shovel and a chisel. Without the wheel we wouldn’t have the car, motorcycles, or even wheelchairs for the elderly. Without these pieces of technology where would we be now?Another example is the cup. Richard Belanger invented the cup. His first design was a brick smashed and squashed into a bowl. He then made a taller and thinner version. It was a heavy, brown and had cracks all over, but as you could imagine, it would be better than using your hands. Richard then made another out of clay. He made more and more until he found that you can heat clay to make it harder. Without this piece of technology where would we be now? Konrad Zuse designed a piece of technology that would cause a chain reaction of models all over the world, the computer. Konrad invented the computer in 1936. The first computer was as big as a house with many plugs, wires and buttons. Some interesting facts about the computer is that in the 1980’s, computers were not considered 100% compatible unless they could run Microsoft flight simulator. Scientists say that in the year 2012, there will be over 17 billion computers connected to the internet. Many people of all ages use the computer. The average 21 year old spends 5,000 hours searching the web and exchanges a whopping 250,000 emails in one year. Without this piece of technology, where would we be now? My last piece of technology I am going to use as an example is the piece of technology that no child could live without, the mobile phone. The mobile phone is mostly used as a toy to show off to your friends, but back in the 1930’s, mobile phones were as big as a brick with an antenna. Through out the 1940’s through to the 1980’s the mobile phones slowly became smaller and with new features it became a trend. Between the years of 1984 to the year 2000 mobile phone usage went through the roof tripling the making of mobile phones. Without this piece of technology, where would we be now? Scientists say that in around 50 years the technology will go too far and we will use up to much power. If we didn’t have technology we wouldn’t have anything that we have like a computer, a clock, or even a piece of paper. That’s why I think that technology is a friend rather then a foe.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!