Sarah's Shell




“No! Don’t smash the shell!” Sarah screamed. It was too late. Ian had smashed Sarah’s shell.

It was Ian’s birthday and he had invited his friends and family over for the day. His girlfriend, Sarah, wasn’t like everyone else. She had a shell. That shell represented her life. If that shell smashed, Sarah would be gone. Forever.

Sarah and Ian were very close. They did basically everything together. Ian was aware of Sarah and her shell. She had it because she was born on the Titanic. The very moment the ship crashed, she was born. She had swallowed a shell which she coughed up when her parents put her in the life boat instead of themselves. That’s why the shell was so important.

Ian’s super hot cousin Owen, was extremely jealous that his poor and not so handsome cousin got the super hot girl. Owen always tried to get Sarah to like him better than Ian. That never happened. Until one day when Owen got a hold of Sarah’s shell and threatened to smash it if she did not dump Ian and go out with him.

Sarah didn’t even know how Owen knew about her and her shell. She trusted Ian not to tell anyone but how else would Owen have found out? Sarah decided to ask Ian to be honest with her about it. Ian said “Owen was in a day-dream, well, at least I thought so. Anyway, I always think about you and I was talking to myself about you and he heard. Sorry Sarah. I really am.

Sarah went back to Owen who mimicked smashing the shell on the ground. Sarah said “Fine. But you can’t smash the shell no matter what, okay??” Owen just smiled then said “You’re so cute when you’re angry.” He had done it. Sarah was fuming more than a screeching teapot. Owen could see her anger but he just kept smiling. He then threw her his gaze with his eyes sparkling. Sarah couldn’t resist. “I love you.” She said.

Ian was standing behind them the whole time. Owen spotted Ian first. “Care to join us?” Owen said, still smiling. “You get nearly every girl you come across. Why can’t you just leave Sarah and I alone!?” Still smiling, Owen put out the hand with the shell in it and turned it so his palm was facing downwards. He opened his hand. The shell fell out. Ian leaped and caught it. Sarah was relieved. She knew Ian was extremely angry but he wouldn’t smash the shell. Would he?

“No! Don’t smash the shell!!” But it was too late Ian had smashed Sarah’s shell.

Owen clapped. His smile was bigger than ever. This was part of Owen’s plan. Ian felt ashamed. Why would he do such a thing? Okay, he was angry, but there was no need for that, was there? He quickly gathered all of the shell pieces and ran away into Sarah’s room. He checked to see if Owen was coming and he was. Ian just had enough time to move out of the road before Owen dived and ended up hitting his head on Sarah’s bed. His eyes closed. Ian slapped him a couple of times to see if he was knocked out and sure enough, he was. Just to be sure, Ian got a bucket of icy cold water and threw it on Owen. He didn’t even flinch. So Ian got to work on re-mastering Sarah’s shell. He could only hope his plan worked.

A couple of hours later, Owen was still knocked out and Ian was putting the final piece of the shell together. He made a mixture of super-glue and his own blood to hold the shell together. He thought that if he showed his love by putting his blood with the glue, his plan would work.

Ian held up the shell to the light. You could only faintly see cracks in it. He quickly checked that Owen was still out, and smashed the shell thinking of Sarah. His eyes were closed. When he opened them, Sarah lay on her bed, asleep. Ian gently woke her up, hoping he still remembered him. Sure enough, she did. She had no wrath and was happy to get back with Ian. Then she asked two questions; the first, “What happened to Owen?” Ian replied; “he ran into your bed, that clumsy thing” Secondly, she asked; “Where’s my shell?” It was nowhere on the floor, nor with Sarah, Ian or Owen.

“I now get to live a normal life with my lovely Ian” she said.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!