Sally Cambridge: A Snippet From Her Life

I slide down the horse’s back. Its soft, brown coat brushing against me. I lead the horse over to a shimmering lake. The horse plunges into the flowing water, cooling down from the- “Sally Cambridge! You may have a good imagination, but you’re here to learn!” I slowly pick up my pencil and start to write. About a metre away, Stella Smith looks smugly at me. Stella is president of the student council, a member of the golf club and has the best singing voice you have ever heard.
***
I walk down the corridor. The lockers tower over me. The bell rings. I soon hear a loud thundering noise, louder than thunder itself. This could only mean one thing. I swiftly move to the side of the corridor to wait for everyone to pass. I stare at the reflection of Stella in the window, as she rushes by. As I am looking outside it starts to rain.
***
I am drenched. My family can’t afford for me to catch the bus anymore. I hate my culture. Just because I have a different skin tone from everyone else, means I don’t have any friends. The bus roars past. As it zooms away, I hear someone shout, “Hey look! There’s chocolate face!” Water showers me from the speed of the bus.
***
I dump my bag on the table and take out my books. They are, just like me, drenched. My mum walks in. “How was your day at school?” “Good,” I reply. “Apart from getting sent to the principal’s office, getting in trouble at lunch, getting drenched, being called chocolate face and having to walk a kilometre home in the pouring rain. Yeah, if you don’t count them, I had a pretty good day.”A fraction of me felt happy. Maybe even less. “Try to be happy at least. I’ve made chocolate cake!” Mum beamed. “Except I forgot to add an ingredient, so it might not taste as great. Unfortunately.”

THE NEXT DAY...

I’m already late for school, but I happen to come across a black girl like me, around the same age, looking rather lost. I run over to her. “Hi. I’ve never seen you before. Are you new?” I ask. “Yes, I am,” she says and holds out her hand. “I’m from Cattacore. My name is Bloom, by the way.” I shake her hand. “I’m Sally.”

Bloom and I walk into class. “Sally! Why are you late?” Miss Glumstone shouts. “I was just helping Bloom finding her way to class,” I murmur. “You know I don’t tolerate lateness at this school! Write out your spelling words one-hundred times.” Miss Glumstone replies.
***
Bloom and I walk home together because she only lives across the road. All the way home, we chat about how different our lives are. When we finally arrive home, it is 5:30pm. We say goodbye to each other and I know, from this day on, my life is going to be much better.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!