Wall Of Flames

She stood. Her body was stiff and still. Not a muscle did she move. Only her hair and dress trembled in the wind. In her hand she held tight the hose. Her fingers wrapped around it so tight that her knuckles were white. Her bare feet were planted firmly on the wet, muddy earth. Her face was pale, contrasting to her ash black hair. Her deep blue eyes remained focused on the horizon and the fast approaching pillar of smoke.
“Matt!” She yelled, never taking her eyes off the black sky, never loosening her grip on the hose, “Matt! Grab Amy and Anna. Come here!”
Behind her the old, two story house dripped, sopping wet after the soaking she had just given it. And out of the now drenched door, three small children aged eight, six and two appeared. The eight year old held the two year old tight in his arms. His face as pale as his older sisters.
“What is it Emily?” He asked anxiously. “What’s wrong?”
“Take the girls to the dam. I want the three of you to sit in the water. Keep your eye on them.” She said, not turning to face him, her thirteen year old body tense.
“I’ll come back.” Matt replied. Emily spun around to face him.
“No!” She yelled. Two year old Anna burst into tears and Amy followed. Even Matt’s lip trembled. Emily’s heart melted and her voice softened. “No, just go. I’ll be there soon. ”
Matt looked at her uncertainly. Then took Amy’s small hand in his and raced off as fast as he could. Emily turned back to the horizon. The black was closer now. She turned the nozzle on the hose and a powerful stream of water came out. She turned to the house and let the water pound first the roof, then the walls and windows, then brought the stream to the garden. She watered down everything in sight. Turning back to the horizon with the water still pouring from the hose she froze in horror. No longer was it a cloud of smoke. Now she could see the flames dancing. She drew herself up to her full height, squared her shoulders and took a deep breath.

Kilometres down the road, at a roadblock, a man and woman were frantically trying to pass. They were not the only ones, but their cries were heart breaking.
“My babies! My babies are down there all alone! Please!” Screamed the woman, falling to her knees. “Please!”
“Let me go! My kids are down there! You don’t understand!” Yelled the man trying to force his way past but failing. There was no way they could get home through the flames.

Emily looked on in despair as the neighbour’s farm burst into a crumbling wall of flames. She sprayed the house one last time. She had let all the animals go an hour ago. She was the only one left. Finally she dropped the hose at her feet and ran.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!