Dare To Disbelieve...

The most catastrophic moment of my life began with a boring English class. My English teacher was prattling on about mythical creatures. As if any of us cared! She was just invading our innocent minds with useless rubbish. I didn’t believe a word she said. That was my downfall. At last the class was over and we were free to go. I practically bolted out the door. But as I was walking home, I felt a huge, scabby, strong hand grab me and pull me into the shadows…

When I next dared to open my eyes, I saw a bunch of rather peculiar creatures staring at me. Suddenly I realised who they were. Mythical creatures! The very same who I had previously disregarded!
“Umm…hi. I didn’t think you existed!” I tried to keep their hungry minds off consuming me.
“That’s what they all say,” grumbled a centaur. “But they never realise the consequences!”
“Of what?” I enquired dubiously.
“Of disbelieving in creatures like us.” retorted a particularly large dragon. “For centuries now we have been regarded as nothing more than myths.”
“Our mission is to rid the world of disbelievers so we may one day be respected in society.” added a water sprite.
With fear evidently in my voice, I enquired “And what would happen to those who disbelieved?” My skin went cold as a giant troll stepped forward to answer.
“We kill them!” Slowly the troll and all the other creatures began to advance on me, fangs and talons outstretched. The last thing I remember was the fear in my heart and the blinding light as someone shone a flashlight around…

As I regained consciousness, I noticed that I was in a hospital bed. Bandages were wound round my arms, highlighting the damage done by the mythical creatures. As if by magic, a doctor appeared by me.
“So you were kidnapped by mythical creatures because you failed to believe in them?” she stated matter-of-factly.
“How did you know?”
“You were sleep-talking. I and other members of staff feel that you are suffering from severe delusions. A phycologist will come and see you tomorrow.”
“I am not delusional!” I exclaimed. “Everyone who doesn’t believe will be killed!”
“I rest my case.” said the doctor cockily. The next morning it was found that the doctor, phycologist and other staff had gone missing. Only I knew why.

I had to do something to save the staff. If only there was a way…then I had it! If I made something that displayed the creatures as being real, then they would stop killing people! I got started straight away. I wrote down all the information and descriptions I could remember about trolls, dragons, water sprites, centaurs and the likes. As the night wore on, my hand became increasingly sore and ink-stained. By first light I was finished. I hid the volume under my bed so no-one would find it. Later that day, the missing staff members returned. Only I knew why!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!