Falling True

The air flew past in a wild, irrepressible quagmire, a shrinking tunnel that unlocked the fear and disparity of Josh’s mind. Paradoxically, the air was also light and cool, its whipping tendrils soothed by the broad palmy gusts that playfully twisted him round and round, its long, smooth fingers almost caressing his face and skilfully rearranging his hair. Simultaneously Ravi sank into his mind’s quagmire and was also lifted up in almighty reverence by the omniscient air.
Inside, Josh was afraid. Very afraid. Somehow, he had always been afraid. Afraid of the dark, of the strange man with his mother, his real mother that is, but most of all he was afraid of falling. As he closed his eyes against the dizzying palette of colours and images swarming around him, he imagined himself a bright light, with all the flies and moths, coloured like water, or paddocks or clear blue sky, all buzzing around him, each demanding his attention as he dived through, he remembered.
Jossi go, go now my darling, precious son No, I’m not leaving you mamma Ah but look you already are. She said, her full, comforting form slowly pulling away and backing through the door. Glistening tears falling ripe from a once beautiful tree, now ravaged by- Go on now, and never ever forget tha – Mamma come back. Come back. Mamma? That I love you. And with that his world was torn and all that was left was a very small, very frightened little boy.
All that came to him next was the worst time, the very first worst time.
“Jossi, run now, I-I will see you later” His mother yelped, pushing him out the back door. As the dilapidated door swung shut he saw him. A wild mange of savage hair blared out around his face and yet it was the way which he looked at Jossi, that really scared him. He saw greed, and more alarmingly he saw jealousy in those glaring eyes.
No more Josh cried, his words sent off soundlessly by the torrent of air around him. But all that he had tried to forget, it all came back, and he was as powerless to stop the memories as to stop the world and cry - foul!
“Jossi, I want you to meet your new family now.” Jossi gazed unseeing past the man in the white cloak and stared at the manicured faces of the two people who stood gazing right back at him as if he was a great new present they had just received for their birthday. “Come here, Josh, is it? Don’t worry we’ll take care of you”
They had made him come with them today. Josh looked down at the little red cord, he knew it had been at least five seconds, it was time to pull it, and yet, why should he? Josh looked down on the sea below him and in a last hasty breath cried out for only the winds to hear “I – am – Josssssssii!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!