I Am Australian

Being able to say that I am a True Blue Australian is something that I will treasure forever. The official definition of an Australian is “a native or inhabitant of Australia”. But to me, being an Australian means so much more than that.

Consider Australia’s physical environment. I am proud to say that I have thoroughly explored much of Australia, and everything I come across never ceases to amaze me. From ranges, to gorges, to rainforests, to beaches, there is such variety that I wonder if it could all possibly be the same country. This applies equally to the unique and diverse range of wildlife. Nowhere else in the world could you find a kangaroo. Or a koala. Or an emu. Or a wombat. Usually this range of wildlife and landforms could not be found in the same place, but then again, it is Australia we are talking about. Anything is possible.

Being an Australian to me means being free and having rights and opportunities. As the English novelist D.H Lawrence once said “You feel free in Australia. There is great relief in the atmosphere - a relief from tension, from pressure, an absence of control of will or form.” Each day, people flee from other continents, risking their lives to reach Australia. Why do they do this? They don’t do it for money. They don’t do it to become famous. The do it to find freedom. Australia is the free country.

We live in a democratic society, where everyone is treated equally and has rights. Not only do we have rights, we have opportunities as well. We have the opportunity to follow our dreams, further our education and pursue our careers. I will never take these things for granted. Living in Australia is something which is just too precious to take for granted.

Being an Australian to me means being proud. When I think that the entire Australian population makes up merely three thousandths of the world’s population, I well up inside with pride. Because I am one of those people. I am Australian.

Being an Australian means truly having the time of your life. To the rest of the world, we are just ‘The Country down under.” But to all Australians, particularly proud citizens like me, Australia is the world.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!