War



The Edinburgh rocked violently from side to side and mountainous waves crashed down on the deck of the ship. Amidst the moaning soldiers and shouting Generals was a young man barely 18. Ernie had enlisted for the army with many fantasies. Being a hero and shooting down enemy soldiers. Dreams of climbing the ranks and soldiers praising him.
Soon Ernie would come to realise that war was a harsh and unforgiving hell; there would be no turning back.
Shouts of astonishment ran through the ship and Ernie looked up from his family photograph to see soldiers jumping with anticipation, awaiting the order from the Captain to exit the Edinburgh.
Ernie was relieved to breathe in fresh air and see blue skies. The Rugged cliffs of Gallipoli towered over the beach. Suddenly, the ship was hit with a thunderous thud and Ernie was thrown over the edge.
He landed in ice cold water that stung to the bone, but Ernie was paying attention now. He swam as fast as he could, but his heavy clothes dragged him down. Ernie gasped for air and pushed the last distance to the beach.
When he got there he found that land was no safer then water. He sprinted to the cliffs and felt the pain in every muscle of his body.
Ernie picked up a spare shovel and started helping the men dig trenches. Next to him a soldier was shot down and fell down the cliffs to his death.
The shovel seemed to be getting heavier every second but Ernie could never give up .After digging for several minutes they had a trench good enough to take refuge in.
But no sooner had they had rested Lieutenant Evans came bounding up the hills, dodging bullets to get to their trench. He ordered the men to run over No Man’s land when he blew his whistle and join the other men already in a forward trench.
Despite Ernie’s doubts, on the sound of the piercing whistle he charged forward like a lion chasing prey. Only this time he was the prey.
Out of the corner of his eye he saw soldiers drop with screams of agony. Everything seemed to slow down as he saw the bullet aimed at him. Time fastened up as the bullet whizzed past. But he had been concentrating so hard on the bullet that he hadn’t noticed the tangled piece of barbed wire lying on the ground.
Ernie’s ankle twisted into an awkward position. He tumbled to the ground in pain, but knew he needed to get up fast. He pulled himself up and staggered to the nearest trench. Shots aimed at Ernie all miraculously missed. Ernie collapsed into the trench with relief.
The men in the trench helped him up and checked his ankle but Ernie only cared he was alive. The fight had only just begun and already they were deep in war. Ernie now knew that war wasn’t like he’d imagined. His adventure had only just begun.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!