War Zone

The flames were rising. That was not a good thing, seeing as I was holding a tonne of ammo on my back as well as the good doctor. At least my backup was coming. Unfortunately at that very moment, the floor gave way beneath me and as I fell I saw the enemy squadron slaughter my help. I was lone wolfing it from now on, and not a soul in the universe knew.

The wind was rough and the hiking was even rougher. The weight of the doctor was pressing on my back. My mission was to protect him. That wasn't likely seeing as I didn't know where I was. The extraction point was nowhere to be seen, but seeing as I was 100 feet below the ground, that was to be expected. The re-con scout sent out ahead of us suddenly appeared. This was perfect! I was stuck down here with a mute scout and an doctor. Wait, that was it. I grabbed the scout and checked his weapons. A .45 caliber pistol and,
“A ROCKET LAUNCHER!!!!!! “Seriously?” I yelled at him. He just shrugged. He must have nicked it from the armory. Thank god that he did, this was perfect. I highly doubt that I was doing the right thing but I couldn't see another solution so I went with this one. I put the doctor down, uncapped the top of one of the rockets, grabbed the doc's lighter and lit her up. The rocket went flying upwards and I knew that the extraction pilots could have missed it. Then I realized that they weren't the only ones looking for us. I instantly willed the signal to go out before anyone saw it. Ah well, if they see it they see it the important thing is that they get here before the enemy do. The doc was alive at least. Then the hail of gunfire came from the surrounding terrain. The scout was the first to go down, a bullet wound in his upper thigh. I started firing all around us. A bullet narrowly missed the snow next to me, nearly taking out my radio. My Radio! I'd forgotten all about it.
Then the speaker crackled to life.“Look above you gents. A gift from go...”
Was all I got to hear before I was shot.

I was sitting back in my rocking chair reliving that fateful day. I needed to get up but I couldn't find the strength. Eventually I pulled myself to my feet and walked on stage for the fifth time today, and not to my surprise I saw the banners all around me. I hadn't wanted to run for president but my friends pushed me into it. I had won, and in a way lost. I had lost the only hope of a quiet life and any hope of forgetting that war. But I knew that the memories would have lasted anyway. I look down at my notes and think here we go.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!