Last Stop?

I threw the half empty and half soggy coffee cup in the bin with a furious slip extra energy; the old couple sitting at the other end of the bench look at me with reproachful surprise as a solid resounding thunk hit the bottom of the rusted metal bin, now more annoyed that my anger had boiled over in this slight gesture I slammed my headphones tight over my ears letting the music drown the dull, depressing silence of the train station.
Stepping off the train three hours earlier I had stood with my suitcase of summer clothing on the dilapidated platform as the other passengers walked out to the small dirt filled car park with family and loved ones. The two benches where made out of rotted through wood with peeling mould eaten dark green paint, they sat against a similarly disgusting and rundown brick wall, everything had a stale country smell that drifted up your nose an lingered as a constant reminder the place had not been cleaned. I sat myself on the better of the two benches with my extra large coffee cup.
The old couple had sat down only a few minutes ago, taking no notice of their decaying surroundings and now as the next train pulled up they stood eagerly as a yooung uni student about my age got off and followed them out through the passage to the car park.
As my iPod finally ran out of battery I packed it away, I let the beep of the answering machine tone ring through my mobile receiver as it sounded my resignation to the suppressed reality my mother had forgotten that I was coming. I softly bumped my head repetitively against the wall behind me, staring up at the baby blue sky and it's fluffy clouds that seem to mock me and separate my decript platform from the beautiful summer day I could have been enjoying.
"Are you alright? You've been sitting there a while" a husky, doubtful voice interrupted my thoughts. Snapping my head in the dirrection of the voice I caught sight of a guy one or two years older in a pair of jeans and black top and wearing one of those bright yellow vests with reflectors stuck all over it.
"Really?! Only four hours since my train came in" I shot back sarcastically "Sorry that wasn't meant for you" I corrected myself quickly, he seemed to find it amusing.
"That's ok we get a lot of people who randomly sit on this platform with furiousness written across their faces" he smirked back his melted chocolate brown eyes lighting up like they struck gold.
"Haha guess i deserved tha-"
"Cassie!!!" my words where cut short by an ecstatic squeal. Dreaad and refreshed fury took over as I turned to stare daggers at the most airheaded mother around.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!