Never Forget

I’m clutching these flowers, afraid that they won’t be good enough to give to you anymore. The petals are starting to fall off, but I’ll make it to you shortly. The rocks underfoot are slightly slippery, making my path slightly difficult, but I’m determined to make it to you. I’ve put off a visit to you for too long, and I can’t shake the feeling that I’ve made a selfish decision because of that.
I can see you now. You’re just over the hill, surrounded by a field of green and daisies that stretch across for what seems like an eternity. You haven’t changed, which makes me a little relieved. I’ve been afraid that you would look so different I wouldn’t be able to remember what you looked like, or how to find you. But I can put those fears to rest, because I have found you now, and I now all the images of you come flooding back to me.
I’m sitting with you now, and I have to admit, the sky does make you look a lot softer and less cold at me for not visiting. I’m putting the flowers just in front of you, and they’ve managed to survive long enough to still look half decent and presentable. They are your favourites, lilies. We’ve shared so many memories, but my favourite was the trip to the beach.

We stood together on the beach, you and I. The sand a beautiful, heavenly white and the sea was a blue so clear and perfect that we could see the fish in their schools. I was eight and you were thirteen. We ran along the shoreline, dancing and jumping in the shallows, with the sun giving us comforting warmth.

A single tear makes its way down my face.

The fish dart between our feet, and we both end up falling over in the water. I fall face first into the water, the salt and bits of sand splashing into my eyes, making them sting. I sit up and begin to cry, and you pick me up and carry me up the beach, cradling me against your chest. You whisper words of comfort and I feel safe with you.
Life was simple then.

A steady flow of tears are now falling down my cheeks, my head bowed in shame.
“I’m sorry!” I cough. “I can’t stand the thought of letting everything go… It’s too hard and I don’t know who to turn to…”
A slight wind picks up, sending the flyaway strands of my hair in multiple directions. I’ve decided that I just can’t stay here anymore. I’ve tried so hard just to keep myself together for the past eight weeks, but I’ve realised that this is harder than anything I’ve ever had to do. Giving you a swift kiss good-bye, I leave, weaving my way through my original path. Forever you will always be in my mind, as you are now:

Forever In Our Hearts
Jeremy Tannem
Beloved
Son
Brother



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!