Never Trust A Mirror

I am about to step carefully through the mirror into the world of black and white when remembered i hadn’t locked the main door. As i went to lock it i thought about the events leading up to this instant.

My family was special in a way different to others. We had the ability to cross into a different world of our imagination through any mirror. I was always told two things that were of absolute importance. Firstly never trust a mirror. The life within and beyond is a lie. Secondly to be careful what I wished for. And because of this I lost my best friend to an argument, an imagination, a mirror and a wish.

Anna and I were arguing in the girl’s bathroom at school, just alongside the sink in front of the mirrors and as she went to stomp away she slipped on the water that had been sprayed and splashed in frustration. As she fell she screamed, I closed my eyes and wished of all the places I’d rather her be than here in the bathroom about to crack her head onto the tiles.

When I opened my eyes she had vanished. I scanned the room and there she was, inside the mirror enclosed by a black and white life. I didn't know what had happed let alone what to do so I locked the main door so no-one could see Anna inside a mirror. I called my parents. They asked me weird questions like, is the mirror broken? Do you remember what places you were imagining?
"MUM, DAD" I interrupt “HOW CAN I GET HER OUT?"
They told me they were coming and to stay calm. Pfft, at a time like this?

Mum and dad had arrived ten minutes later pounding on the door. I let them in and re-locked the door hurriedly so no-one would see the fading Anna.
" Can you please just tell me how to get Anna out of there?" I say quickly.
"Okay, remember and imagine all the places you where thinking of when Anna fell in. The catch is, you can only go one place a day, And you have to go through the same mirror. The mirror can mot be damaged under any circumstances or both of you will be lost forever." Answered mum, an edge of distress creeping into her tone.

So recently I have been sneaking in and out of a mirror during school in the girl’s bathroom trying to save my best friend, who at the time is lost in a different world that is of my own imagination all because of a stupid wish and a stupid argument.

It is as i am about to step through the mirror that i finally notice something that i had earlier failed to see. From underneath the graffiti on the wall beside the mirror a thin crack starts. As it continues along the wall it grows in width., it finishes in the centre a gaping crack. I stare at my disorientated face then crumble to the floor and collapse into tears.

She is gone.
Gone forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!