Landing On Your Feet

I can hear her. Her footsteps are dull thuds coming closer and closer towards me from around the corner. I can hear her evil, girlish giggles echoing down the corridor coming to get me. I peak around the corner and just escape her gaze. I turn and make a run for it but almost collide with the large leather couch that is pushed up against the wall. My ears just manage to brush the cushion before I skid under the couches padded frame. I can see two little shadows from my hiding place. She is standing just in front of the couch, the creature that they call “Claire”. She bends down and before I know it she has grabbed onto my back. I screech but then quickly wriggle myself out of her grasp and bolt out of the room. She is getting angry now and comes running after me down the hall. I have little time to lose and so I jump behind the pot plant with a little too much enthusiasm, as I crash land on some dead leaves that had fallen behind. I slowly start to catch my breath and my heart rate returns somewhat back to normal. There is something wrong though. I can’t hear her anymore. There are no more heavy thumps coming towards me and I can’t hear her frustrated breathing ringing in my ears. I slowly and cautiously tiptoe out from behind the pot only to be met by Claire with an evil grin on her face. She throws a large pink blanket at me and I become trapped. I struggle with the sheet but it restricts me like a straight jacket and I fail to free myself. All of a sudden I am being squeezed around the waist as the floor disappears beneath my feet. I am doomed. I can’t bear to see what happens next.

We have been walking for around five minutes now and I can’t tell where I am. I am pretty sure we have gone up a flight of stairs because I felt a wave of nausea pass over me as I was being jostled around like I was on a boat being rocked back and forth. We suddenly come to a halt and the blanket is lifted off of me. I find myself staring down at the backyard and all of the trees that surround the house. I am so distracted by what I am faced with that I only just hear Claire say “Bye bye!” in her evil voice. Before I know what is happening, I find myself falling. I am tumbling through the air like a trapeze artist without any ropes. I look back up and see Claire clapping her hands with delight from the balcony. Suddenly everything catches up with me. She has just thrown me off the balcony. I wander to myself whether I really have nine lives. Fear is pulsating through my body and then the adrenaline kicks in. I am nearing the ground at a roaring speed and then I collide with hard earth. I look around me and relief settles over my body as I realise nothing is broken. Oh well, luckily as a cat I always land on my feet.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!