Dancing In Paris

Sitting in her wheelchair next to her mother, Lisa watched her sister Isabelle practising ballet dancing. Lisa had always wanted to take ballet lessons with Isabelle but her condition stopped her. She decided to take a look around the studio. In the far corner, Lisa noticed there was a very old cupboard. It stood off the ground and was painted a pale pink. Inside the cupboard was lined with faded pink velvet. Also inside, sitting on the drawers, were the most beautiful pair of ballet shoes Lisa had ever seen.

Next to the shoes there was a note, written in faded gold paint. These shoes belonged to Margot Fonteyn when she danced Swan Lake at the Paris Opera Theatre with Rudolf Nureyev.

On the floor underneath the cupboard Lisa found a book titled “Girls Book of World Ballet”. Lisa opened the book to the page where a bookmark marked a page on Margot Fonteyn and Swan Lake. Lisa started to read the page, it was very interesting. Swans were her favourite animals so she decided to read on. It was about a girl who turned into a swan and in the middle of good and evil. In the end sadly the girl dies. Lisa took another look at the shoes.

Lisa was drawn to the ballet shoes. She held them and felt their soft fabric. She sat admiring the shoes so much so that when none was looking Lisa slipped the shoes on her very own feet. Suddenly the light surrounding her started to change. Her wheelchair disappeared and she was able to stand up all on her own. A bright light appeared out of nowhere, right on her, like a spotlight. People were moving about in costumes all around her. Lisa was in a ballerina costume. Lisa’s costume was similar to all the other dancers. It was white with glitter on the front except the only difference to the other costumes was that that Lisa’s dress was a proper tutu. It was stiff and stood up whereas the other girls’ dresses were floppy.

Lisa soon realised that she had been transported some how to the Paris Opera Theatre and she was actually dancing in Swan Lake. Lisa had become Margot Fonteyn. Then from backstage appeared Rudolf Nureyev, who was the prince. He took Lisa’s arm and the music started to play. Surprisingly Lisa knew all the dance routines, leaping here and twirling there. Lisa’s dancing was the most beautiful and perfect the audience had ever seen. Everyone in the audience clapped and cheered for her. She loved the feeling of dancing.

It was time for Lisa’s solo dance. She stood under the blaring light and when the music played she started to dance. After the dance Lisa sneaked away and took of the shoes. She found herself back in front of the old cupboard and putting the things away. Then her mum came and said, “What’s with that smile for?” “ You wouldn’t understand!” smirked Lisa.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!