A Brush With Fate

In a cold and lonely, dark house there lived an old grandma. Her family lived far away. But she didn't mind, she lived around the corner from the beach where she went for daily walks.

One day she was walking slowly along the shore, admiring the calm water when she felt something under her foot. At first she thought it was a crab so she jumped up in fright. Quickly, she fumbled her glasses and put them on her face to see if she had accidentally killed the crab. But there was no crab. Upon closer inspection, she uncovered a splintered, wooden paintbrush so she picked it up and observed it. There was a unique swirling pattern which made it look like an ancient tribal tool. She decided to keep it because it looked pretty and expensive.

The next morning, it was a fresh sunny day. It was a perfect opportunity to try her new paintbrush on the beach. She set up her painting pad on the sand and started painting some pictures. Some were of a flock of parrots, some were of cats, dogs, dinosaurs and the last was of a safari of wild animals. She decided to take a nap from all the exhausting painting.

When she woke up it was just starting to darken outside. Slowly, the flowers closed and the sun set. She had just gathered all her paintings in a pile when suddenly, an array of brightly coloured parrots burst out of her artwork and shot into the night sky. The old lady was amazed by what happened. Next a cat and a dog jumped out and the dog started barking loudly whilst chasing the cat. Before she knew it, the dinosaur and safari of wild animals came alive and stampeded out of the artwork. She was running for her life and climbed up a palm tree.

As she sat on the palm tree she shook nervously looking at the animals around her. A lion and tiger were rolling in the sand and their cubs were rumbling with each other. The giraffes were fighting with their long, strong necks using them like swords, snakes slithered up the trees and the elephants were head butting the base of the tree with their ivory tusks. But she was holding on the branch tightly and was able to use the paintbrush to fight off the snakes.

She sat in the tree for hours, waiting for the animals to falls asleep, but they never did.

Dawn was arising. The old woman was sleepy and weary. Slowly but surely the animals were also becoming tired. As the sun came out the animals quickly turned into dust the second the sunlight hit their skin. When all the animals had disappeared and it was safe to come down, the old woman packed up her stuff and went home.

When the old woman got home she looked at the paintbrush and thought to herself that from now on she would not paint dangerous animals... she would only paint trees, plants and flowers.... and that's what she did.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!