Never "broke" Again

CRASH!! I slipped on the wet bathroom floor and crashed into the bathroom cupboard. The vase fell and broke. I’m used to these things because when I was a baby I would sit on Mums lap and then I would gurgle and tip over Mums glass of wine and the pure crystal glass would break. Next, Dad will come storming in and say: “What did he break now?” with his face turning red. I was only two days old when they came up with my name. Everybody at school teases me about my name because my name is Brok. Short for broke because I break everything!

One summer break I found myself in the car on our way to Spook’s Water Park. When we got there my brother and I helped Mum and Dad to inflate the mattress and set up the tents. Soon we were zooming down the “Spooky slide”, “The Cyclone” and the “Vampire cat”. Mum later called us to go shower because it was getting dark.

When I put the shower on I accidentally pulled the handle RIGHT OFF and water came gushing out of the hole in the wall where the handle used to be! At that moment I started to hear cracks coming from the wall and it was getting louder! At that moment the bricks came thundering out like an earthquake crushing a building. I just stood there with my eyes closed hoping that this was just a dream when everything stopped and I could just hear the sound of water gently flowing into the drain. After a while I slowly started to open my eyes and nearly fainted. At my feet lay a pile of gold coins and a golden mask!

Still shocked, I heard mum call: “We’re going to eat dinner soon!” My mind raced! What was I going to do? If I didn’t think of a plan soon I’d be toast! That’s when I came up with an idea. I would sneak the coins and mask in my towel and hide it when I got back to the camp ground… but it failed. The minute I walked out of the door Mum asked me what I had in my towel. I completely forgot about the hole in my towel and some gold coins were dropping out. I lamely explained and showed her the mask. When I showed Mum the mask, she excitedly told me that museums all over the world are looking for it and that it belonged to a mighty warrior tribe. She told me that they offered a reward for finding it!

The next morning we went to the Town Council and they told me I was going to be rich and famous for finding it. I was over joyed for the first time in my life!

The reward of $1 million shocked the whole family and we laughed all the way home. Before I knew it people where literally hogging our driveway and wanted my autograph. At school the same thing happened and now I was the most popular kid. Guess I had a lucky break!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!