School In Kenya

Finalist in the 'Timeless Tales 2011' competition

I leave for school today for the first time. I take a deep breath and elevate my head to observe the sky. The streams of pure white clouds float and wander through the blue stretch of humble sky. I am distracted by the laughter of children, splattering and plopping in the mud scattered street. I watch their best clothes turn from white into brown, as quick as a lion pouncing on its prey. From the horizon I can see a small hut emerging, I speed up my pace.

I step inside the tiny door; I crouch to make sure I don’t hit my head. The laughter is a train, picking up passengers at every stop. I look down and see many eyes drawn to the attention of a small lady who I presumed to be the teacher, she is whistling and calling to gather the children. I bend my head to duck under the roof, which clearly was not built for my intension. More children hurdled into the crowded classroom and as instructed take a seat. I too, pull one small black chair from under the table and drag it to my body, which hangs out the side.

The teacher introduces herself, and I stay attentive to her voice. One girl, who was the only child who had kept her uniform intact, laughed at me with a group of friends. I knew my age would attract some attention. Teacher hands me a notebook. I inhale the paper with relief, knowing that long lasted knowledge will be filling the pages of my notebook. The lesson then begins. With a twist and click, teacher’s new pen is ready to write.

Words fill the board unlike anything I have seen before. My eyesight begins to trouble me, I pick up my walking stick and shutter to the front row, trying to crouch as low as I can so that the younger students can see over me. The girls giggle and whisper and a storm of laughter begins. Teacher turns around and instructs us to recite the days of the week. I reach out for my bag of belongings and I am stopped by a small girl, five years old at the most. “Mzee,” the girl greets me saying, hello my elder. “Would you like to play with me?”

I am delighted with this offer and I smile at her. We walk outside together and I can smell the pollution of the city. When we return to the classroom, we are told to make an introduction. I walk towards the front of the classroom, where I have a clear view of all the children, all thirty six of them, eagerly smiling at me.

“Hello, my name is Kimani Nganga Maruge and I am eighty four years old.” Five hands shoot up, then twelve, then nineteen. “Why are you here?” A child calls out. I explain that when the Kenyan government started to offer free education, I enrolled to receive something my elders could not afford.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!