The Worm Hole

Finalist in the 'Timeless Tales 2011' competition

Leaning back in my recliner chair and staring out at the beauty of the vast universe, I can only wonder what we might encounter on our dangerous mission. Suddenly, I awaken from my thoughts to the sound of an alarm indicating an incoming message from the control centre back on Earth. I quickly press the answer button and a holographic picture of General Augustus appears. "At ease Captain Jacobson. I can only now give you the exact position of the worm hole that you will be intercepting. We have had to keep this mission top secret as our rival alien neighbours, the Octavians, would love to get their tentacles on the energy source located at the end of the worm hole. The future of the human race as we know it depends on you successfully completing this mission", explained the General.

"I totally understand Sir, we won't let you or the entire Earth down," I said reassuringly, hoping the General would not detect the uncertainty in my voice. "I'll be sending you an encrypted message of the position of the worm hole to ensure no hostile life-forms will be able to obtain the information. Good luck and have a successful mission." Then with a final salute, the General's holographic figure disappeared.

The next message that appeared was the encrypted message containing the worm hole's position. After deciphering the message I called a meeting with my crew about our mission. "Good evening crew, as you know we are undertaking a very important mission, one that is essential for the continuum of human life. All of the Earth's energy sources have been exhausted. Our physicists have located an unknown energy source at the end of an unexplored worm hole, which they believe will be our saviour. We have to capture some of this energy source and return it to Earth. Lieutenant Smith set our course to Sector 2-g-alpha," I said as I sat down in my Captain's chair.

"Position set," replied Lieutenant Smith.

With a deep breath and an air of apprehension I gave the order, "Warp speed - straight ahead".

On entering the worm hole, our tiny ship was tossed and turned as it whizzed about. Then suddenly our ship slowed. We had made it to the other side of the worm hole. The blackness of the universe had given way to a dull glow. As we cautiously continued on a straight course some form of force-field brought us to a complete stop. Could we have reached the edge of the universe? As we looked through the force-field we all stood speechless.

Suddenly, sirens sounded that we were under attack. An Octavians' star fighter had secretly followed us through the worm hole. "Attack stations," I screamed. After a heated battle some of the lasers hit and cracked the force-field. The entire universe was sucked through the crack. As we lay stranded we heard a deafening voice, "Mum, can you get me a glass? My Sea-Monkey tank just broke open".

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!