War As A Child

I woke up in the middle of the night feeling cold and not able to breathe. It was like my heart had skipped a beat and the air was dead still. I couldn’t hear any sounds. Not even the squeaks of a mouse or the buzzing of a bee. I looked out the window; all I can see is tanks and bright lights surrounding the festival grounds. There must be some sort of parade, I thought to myself as I approached my bedroom door. My door creaked as if it hadn’t been opened in a thousand years. It was covered in spider webs and ants. As I walk down the hall an army plane flies over the house. I run towards my mum and dads bedroom. No one was there. Not even my dog Terry was there.

The only thing that came to me to explain all this was war. Something deep inside my stomach told me what to do. I closed the curtains and turned off the lights. I waited until morning and then finally investigated. I crept around town and tried not to be spotted. I finally reached the grounds but guns being fired before I had to slip behind a truck. Fires were being lighted everywhere.

I tried to sneak away but my leg had been slit open and I couldn’t move. I had to move; the lights were getting closer every second. Something inside of me told me that I had to get away and fast. I rolled away just as the man approached behind the truck. I took of my jacket and wrapped it around my leg.

I scrambled through all the debris and rubble until I finally reached my house. I decide to sit and wait in my house for the next few days collecting food and water. I never realised that my life could become so miserable and drab.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!