Natives


Creak, groan, moan went the ship.
“Captain, we’ve been at sea for three months and we don’t have much food, gunpowder or water left.’’
“I know I know, but I think I see a small island over there. Set sail to it!’’
“Yes, right away Captain Morgan!’’ A pirate saluted.

When Morgan stepped onto the island he coughed and spluttered. “Oh, it smells horrible like dead seals, but it looks so leafy and grassy and… I think I can hear some native war drums’’ Morgan exclaimed puzzled.
“You’re right captain’’ said Jack, Morgan’s second in command. “On my way back from scouting for treasure I found a fresh water spring and some ducks for food.’’

“Is it good for camping?’’

“It is very good for camping, except there is a native camp near it.’’

“Now that isn’t good. At least we’ve got three hundred pirates.’’

“I’ll get the men ready and the tents” grumbled Jack unhappily.
After a long walk they finally came to the spot that Jack had described. Some of the men went and killed ducks for food. Just then a scout group came back. Three were dead and two were wounded.

“WHAT THE HELL!’’ cried Morgan.

“We w..ere att..acked” groaned Jack clutching his side. “Na..tiv..es”.
A second later he was dead.

“I will take my revenge on them” yelled Captain Morgan, shaking his fist into the trees.

Back at the natives camp the native leader was very unhappy. “This is the third pirate ship that has been on this island and tried to take our land. Too many of our friends and men have been killed. It is time to take our island back!”

“Yeah!’’ shouted all of the leaders men.

“I can’t hear you!’’

“YEAH!’’ screamed all the natives.

Meanwhile in the pirate’s camp there was something wrong. Morgan was watching a moving spear in the bushes.
Suddenly natives came roaring out of the jungle. Morgan screamed like a wild pig “FIRE! AND KILL EVERY SOUL LEFT!’’ So all of Morgan’s men fired their muskets and sent a wave of bullets hurtling towards the natives. Every single bullet found their mark except for one which bounced off the native leader’s vest. He was so ugly and big all of Morgan’s men pulled back except for Morgan.

“You killed my friend!” Morgan shouted.

“Of course I did’’ the leader laughed.
“Then you shall die!’’ And with that Morgan fired his pistol. The bullet went right through the native leader’s neck and he fell backwards. “Serves you right’’, Morgan murmured.

Later on Morgan and the pirates buried Jack. Morgan laid Jack’s musket on top of his grave. “Good bye old friend’’ Morgan whispered.

By Patrick Thompson

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!