The Little Star

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

The little Star is scared and alone. She is surrounded by an evil darkness and she trembles silently. The Star had been sent on a special mission and she had failed it. Her mission had been to bring light to those who lived in darkness, hoping to turn them away from Evil and towards Good.

How the little star had become lost, she knew not. At first she had been travelling with the other stars across the vast universe when she was suddenly enveloped by this darkness. She had tried to find her way out but there was no where to go. The darkness was everywhere.

The little Star feels an evil presence surround her and she hears a low, evil laugh. “You thought that you could get past me!” The Darkness says. Its voice is low and scratchy and it comes from all directions. “You stars think too highly of yourselves. Did you really think that you could stop me from gaining control of the people on Earth by showing them the light?” He laughs again and then stops suddenly.

“Little Star, why do you tremble so? Are you scared of me? I shan’t hurt you. All I wish to do is to extinguish your bright light. It shan’t hurt a bit! Or maybe you tremble because I am the opposite of what you are. You are good and I am evil.”

“Why must you lead people to the darkness?” The little Star whispers. “Are you not content to let the people live in the Light? Why must you gain control of them?”

“Why little Star, you are so ignorant. I am only doing my job as you are doing yours. I do not gain control of them. They are merely choosing who they want to follow. They still have control of their lives whether they choose either Good or Evil. Let me tell you little Star, Good cannot exist without Evil and Evil cannot exist without Good. Without evil, people would not know what is good and without good, people would not know what is evil.”

“But then why must you destroy me? Why can you not let me leave and go back?” The frightened Star asks.

“I must extinguish your light because I despise light and you will only keep on trying to show people the True Way. That is why I must destroy you.”

“Even if I do die now,” the little Star says bravely, "I shall not do so without a fight!”

The Darkness laughs horribly again. “You are a feisty star. How exactly do you intend to fight me?”

The little Star closes her eyes and concentrates. She grows brighter and brighter and suddenly, she is no longer there. The Darkness laughs but then stops. He is dissolving all because of one little star. He screams painfully and then he too disappears.

In her own way, the little Star fulfilled her mission and she helped bring many people back to the light.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!