Stay Still And Silent

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

I hooked my tail tightly around Amber and twisted my tiny paws into Mother’s fur. Mother’s fur was a soft grey brown colour which was perfect to snuggle in, but patchy in some areas. Her right ear was missing a chunk, but she was warm and safe and smelt like milk.

When we were near the base of the tree I gave an audible whimper. ‘Do we have to go down Mother?’ I whispered anxiously.
‘You know we need more food Wattle,’ Mother replied grumpily.
‘Sorry Mother’ I apologised, trying to sound brave.

As we reached the ground I closed my eyes as we left the familiar confines of our drey, and headed into the dense Eucalypt forest. Mother had told us last night that we were going to another drey which was closer to food. She said it was near a two legs drey. I have never seen a two leg but Mother said that they were worse than foxes and cats put together!

She also told us about dogs. She said we must never go near them. After all of her frightening stories I was terrified to leave our drey but all of the gum blossoms had fallen and the thick leaves didn’t give Mother enough nutrients.

We had moved dreys quite a few times already but Amber and I had been in the pouch at the time.

Ahead I saw a tall black tree but it didn’t grow towards the sky but it went sideways and had no leaves or branches.
‘Mother, what is that?’ Amber whispered pathetically.
Amber had always been smaller than me, and I was much braver. Her fur was a light grey colour whereas mine was a rich dark brown.
‘It is called a fence. It is used to protect the two legs drey,’ Mother replied warily.

On the other side of the fence I could see rows of trees, all with bright coloured fruits of pink and red and yellow. I remembered Mother describing nectarines and whined in anticipation. With so much food there would be more milk and Mother might let us try some! I could see Amber was also wriggling in excitement as Mother climbed a tree next to the fence. We both twittered impatiently. However, our joy was short lived as Mother crawled into a little leaf drey and left us there.
‘I will be back shortly my little ones. Stay still and silent.’

They were the last words mother ever said. Amber had stopped breathing after only a day, but I suffered longer. I waited for days but she never returned. After another two days without food I was literally starving. I hadn’t left the hollow and I was too tired now to try. I whined as I tried to move into a more comfortable position. My ribs were showing and my fur thin.

I closed my eyes and drifted peacefully into a deep sleep. I was pretty sure that it was time to join Mother and Amber now and I let myself sink lower and as I stopped breathing I was finally at peace.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!