With Love From Madeline

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

Dear Daddy,
I am writing this on the last of the paper that I have in my notebook. Mummy says that today is Sunday May 28, 1942. She told me to write that so that if you find this, you will know when I said these things. I took one of the empty bottles from the kitchen to put this in and then, when it’s finished, I am going to put it in the river down the street. Somehow you will find it, because you’re my Daddy.

It gets hard for me to remember when you left, but it was a long time ago and I really want you home now. The other day, I asked Mummy where you went and she told me that you’ve gone on a holiday to this place called War. I don’t even know where that is, but she said that you had to go on a huge boat to get there. Being on a boat would be lots of fun. She said that you’d only be gone for a little while, so when do you get back?

A few days ago, Mummy sold my best doll, Dora, so that we could get carrots. Carrots are yucky and they are all that we eat anymore. She says they are good for your eyes and make you see in the dark, but people do sleeping when it gets dark. I wish you were here because you wouldn’t make me eat carrots. Or sell my dolls either. I miss you.

Each night, we have to do prayers, so I ask God to send you home. Last night, there was a loud siren and Mummy told us to get out of bed and follow her outside. We ran to Darcy’s Store where we all went into the cellar. It was really scary and everyone was crying. Mummy was holding my hand so tightly that I couldn’t feel my fingers. I asked her to stop because it was hurting, but she wouldn’t. Why is this happening? Daddy, come home! I love you more than chocolate and ponies. I hope you still love me, too.

Before I came down here to write to you, some men came to the door. They were dressed the same as you were when you left, with matching green clothes. It worried me because in school we were told that these kind of men were the greatest in the world. Except they don’t look quite so great when they’re standing in your doorway and they have sadness in their eyes. They asked to speak to Mummy, they said something and then apologised. Mum fell to the ground crying. I was scared so I just grabbed my notebook and ran, because the only thing I want to do is talk to you, Daddy. That is the only thing I want in the whole world. Please come home and make everything okay again. We love you. We need you. Please.

With love from,
Madeline

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!