Undefinable

Push stop. Push stop.
The slender but decisive arm strides across.
In an act of precision, it quivers. But by the time it realises fault it marches on
To do its job. One-Mississippi. Two-Mississippi.
Consumes the cycle of life
An endless rhythm – the pulse of a heart.

I’m asleep. Yet it envelops, swallows my mind
Whole. Greedily stuffs his mouth full and licks my skull clean.
Drops it. It shatters, as crisp glass, flecked with the gleam of moonlit stars.

Du-du-du-du.
The wrist reaches over, slaps the alarm to snooze.
I can never get enough of sleep. With time.
Undefinable. Existing only with the renewal of recharge. The terminal we depend on.
But ultimately, it is the death of us. When the hand drops lifeless, stone cold.
That is when it freezes. Yes, I have now found the words.
Time: a period of limits.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!