A Winter Night

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

A total lunar came to Canada a few years ago on a cold evening in winter.
I was in my room when it happened and I watched it with a pair of binoculars. The sky was unusually dark. Millions of stars glistened and formed constellations. The moon was barely visible.
I stared at the stars for a long time, not knowing what next to do. As I stared, a bright light appeared in the sky. I rubbed my eyes but the light was still there.
As it became brighter, I began to make out the outlines of the object. It had an ellipse shape and was actually a silvery colour.
I tore my eyes away with great effort and went to the closet. I pulled out thick clothes and dressed. Then, I flew through the door and outside into the thigh deep snow.
I looked up; millions of stars still blazed in the dark sky but the object was no longer there. Disappointment flooded me and I turned to leave, but my eyes caught the faint silhouette of a round object.
I moved towards it, my heart pounding quickly. I do not know how to describe it. It was like a patch of something; a something that the nature of which no human words could describe. As I watched, a figure stepped out of it. It looked like a human and was about 140 centimetres tall.
It walked towards me and just then the eclipse ended. A bright patch of moonlight shone onto the creature and I gasped. There was a mouth, a nose and eyes. It was grey in colour and had a mass of dark hair.
It seemed to be staring at me . Then it was holding an object which looked like a remote control. I saw it lift the remote with difficulty then point it at me. His mouth opened to make a rasping sound.
Every instinct in my body told me to move, but I could not. Fascination, fear and horror welled up inside of me. I tried to scream but the sound stuck in my throat.
The creature repeated what he had said and a green light flashed above my head. A branch of the tree behind me broke off. I turned toward the door and ran.
The next morning in the daily newspapers there was a picture of a blurry object near the almost invisible moon. I wanted to tell them about it but I knew no one would ever listen to an eight year old kid.
The thought angered me. I went outside into the fresh morning air. Thick snow covered the ground. I glanced up, away from the weak sun and into the dimly lit sky. I knew that above us was not just stars, planets and nebulae. There was life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!