Key And Lock

“It’s all your fault that she’s gone it’s all your fault that Grandma is dead!” Tara shouted at her mum. “Honey…” but Tara was gone sobbing in the corner. The truth was that Tara’s mum hadn’t done anything wrong, Tara was just to upset to see.
Tara wiped the tears off her fair face and she started to flick through her Grandma’s old photo albums. She found so many pictures that made her cry; her whole face glittered with tears. She still soldiered on and swore that she’d keep going until she had looked through it all even if she ended up swimming in her tears.
She started looking through the pile of letters her grandma had kept. The letter on top had “To my love, Rose” on the front. She opened the letter and read it. To my dear Rose I miss you so much, it is hard fighting in the war but I do it, to keep you and our unborn child safe. I miss you Rose. Love From you adoring Husband John. “Oh Grandad, his name was John,” Gasped Tara. Tara stopped looking through the letters and decided to look at the one mysterious draw placed in the corner. The draw had one letter in it. Tara opened it. Inside was a yellow piece of paper and on it was written. We are sorry to you but your husband has died in action. Grandad dead. Is that why Grandma never talked about him, young love cut short? How had she coped. Inside the envelope was a gold lock in the shape of a heart on a chain, on the lock it had writing engraved on it which said I give you my heart. Tara decided to slip the polished chain on her wrist it fit perfectly she thought of it as a gift from her grandad.
Her stomach started to grumble so she decided to go down stairs to get a bite to eat. She marched down stairs into the kitchen and started munching on an apple. Her mum came into the room and said “Grandma would have wanted you to have this.” On the kitchen bench her mum placed a silver necklace with a key hung on it. When her mum had left the room Tara cautiously walked over and picked up the necklace. She had to admit it was beautiful.
She looked down at her lock on her thin wrist the intricate patterns were like nothing she’d ever seen before, or had she. Her necklace! She picked it up and slid it into the lock, perfect fit. She turned the key. The lock silently popped open.
When she saw the unity of the key and the lock, something unlocked inside her mind. It wasn’t Mums’ fault. She’s on my side. The key and lock are like mum and I. Mum will take me under her wing and always protect me. Mother and daughter, Key and lock.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!