The Great War

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

I wouldn’t want to be anywhere but here, as I lay under the midnight sky looking up at the large but yet luminous moon that hangs in the sky over looking my home planet Liano. Sometimes I dream of other planets and what they would look like and wonder if they are as beautiful as Liano, but my mother Tiara has always said that nowhere is as good as home and that we are safe her on our own planet and that nothing but us exist, but I always questioned her theory’s of the world and its surroundings.
Never the less Liano is my home and I treasure it with all my heart its tremendous with greenness and dashes of bright colours here or there that colour our world and ever move, every touch, every step you get a smell of the sweet air that has fragments of hay that fly by in the wind but also the magnificent views that lie beyond the horizons and the gracious trees that sway and bend in the wind.
Today is my 16th birthday the day on which I will be told our ancestors history and why it is so mysterious and secretive. As I wait in the hut, Nerves and butterflies swell in my stomach as I wait for my grandmother to enter the door, this particular hut is unique and precious unlike the others, and you can also tell that this is a sacred spot because of the energy that flows through it, it’s amazing and makes your skin tingle.
In the very centre of the hut lay a burning fire of red and yellow but cold to the touch which concerned me because we have always been told fire was red and hot but in this case it was still the descriptive colour red but was cold to the touch.
Grandmother came in and started speaking in our native language carlanion and told our history and why we were never told it before now. My mouth hung open and my eyes stayed focused on my mother’s face, for her to keep these secrets away from me till now were devastating. I could not believe i had super natural abilities and only a few in our village gets them, my grandmother foretold that a great war was coming and we must be ready but the one who possess the abilities of mind control, fire resistance and time control would be the leader of our cult and only one will get these powers, but i was also warned that I maybe the one I had already had 2 of the 3 abilities, but all i could think of was why was it so secret for so long.
My training had begun just like all those who had come of age, it wasn’t too long till I gained the ability of time, my worst fears were about to become reality the war was nearing and I soon will have to fight not knowing whether or not I will survive, everyday it got closer but I to got stronger and was ready for my journey ahead.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!