Extract From Sky Flyers Kingdom Chapter Seven: Elxie’s Dream

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

Time; the one thing that is always against you, the one element that is always moving forward and backwards at the same moment, well I was out of time. Everything I had trained for, everything I have loved and lost came down to this moment in time and now time was up there would be no backing down, no retreat. I stared at my opponent-from where I hid- my enemy’s eyes there was no mercy, no love and no compassion in his eyes they were only filled with hate and rage. I felt a tear roll down my face, turning to ice as it reached my chin felling away into the open air shaped as a perfect sparkling water droplet. I wondered how this could have happened but yet again I didn’t have the time to sit and ponder about it I already knew the answer.
My breath came out in rapid gasps I couldn’t believe I was doing this, so many questions were going through my head so many emotions boiling over in my heart, how did I get to this moment; this moment in time where anything could happen if I turned around I know I would be seen but if I didn’t turn or even move in the next three seconds I was going to be seen anyway so it was a catch twenty-two. My eyes peered around for a new hiding spot but all I saw was flat ground and the drop off from the cliffs edge. I tightened my hands around the hilt of my sword until my knuckles turned white, I concentrated on calming my breathing otherwise it was going to be my un-doing everything I had worked for lead to this moment, I could not fail when the punishment for failing was death.
A shadow fell across my hiding spot and I knew it was too late, my time was up. My instincts told me to wheel around and raise my sword, I obeyed and blocked a down would strike that would have dealt me a swift death, the truth was I didn’t want to fight, I didn’t want to hurt the figure hidden in shadow that was now wielding his sword in a deadly combo of attacks, each of the thrusts I parried or batted away each side slice I deflexed, sparks flying from our blades as he backed me up towards the cliff. I had to think now and make a plan or I was finished the blade was getting closer and closer to landing on its mark I was too tired already and had no strength left. Only one idea came to mind but did I have the strength to summon it, my answer was made for me when my sword was flipped from my hands the blade flying over the edge. I backed up expecting something to ram my back a wall anything instead I fell to his startled surprise and I knew I could retreat no more…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!