The Dragon Of Dreams

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

The Dragon of Dreams


There could be no mistake it was the sound of beating wings, very LARGE beating wings. I turn around to see the one thing that I was hoping that was still alive for a long, long time, was right in front of me. There was I beautiful white dragon flying straight towards me! I knew I couldn’t be mistaken, I know a dragon when I see one, although I never have. I stood there staring at it in absolute delight and admiration for what seemed like seasons, but was only a few heartbeats. And after those heartbeats I realised that it wasn’t stopping, not even trying. Honestly it looked like it was drunk! Thinking quickly I ducked under yew bush, squashed myself in a tight ball, waiting for a 3,000 kilo weight land on me. It never came; I looked up to see what was going on, big mistake! What felt like an explosion, cross earthquake happened right next to me 1 I screamed in terror and fright, and tucked my head in under myself for protection. Seconds later it stopped, I heard groaning and fierce roaring coming from the dragon. Slipping my head out of my protective shell, I stood up to see the eyes of the majestic creature dull with pain, but at the same time blazing with anger and the want for revenge. I saw a bullet wound in its chest. This could be the last dragon in the world and some hunter comes along and treats it like game! Oh, boy would it like to get my hands on the person who did this to the poor thing. I pushed that thought to the back of my mind, turned back to the dragon, but only just in time to see it open its jaws ready to sink its teeth into my body. Quickly I jumped out of the way and ran to the far side of the dragon’s side. Not too close to it’s the tail but not too close to its jaws either. For 10 long minutes it tried to reach me but failed, growing weaker and weaker, it stopped and laid its head down with unbearable exhaustion and pain. I knew it couldn’t get me now so I came up to its head and comforted it. Always hoping that it may survive, I gave a silent prayer, thinking that it may help. My efforts were a waste of time, which was precious for this creature, and it died in front of my, giving one last shudder before it lay still forever People always said that dragons are vicious and vile creatures, but to me they were beautiful, majestic, and graceful spirits, and that’s why I will never forget this very day.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!