The Magic Book

Finalist in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

It was a cold, wintery night. Nathan slept by the fire, hearing and feeling the hot flames blazing. He tried shutting his eyes and falling asleep, but just couldn’t.
Nathan tiptoed to the kitchen and drank a glass of water. That relaxed him a little. Finally, he fell asleep. His mum, Cress was looking at her son with a sad look but with a smile on her face. Nathan had trouble with speaking- and didn’t know what to do with him. She took him to a dozen of doctors, but no matter how hard they tried, he couldn’t speak.
Because he could not speak, he didn’t have any friends. He was a very poor, agitated lonely boy.
Nathan was already in the stage of his dreams. He dreamt of a white angel. She asked him questions, and he answered them just like a normal boy could. Then, the angel seemed to be thinking of something. She took him to a library. “The book takes you to a different world, and if the book is good you get lost in it, Nathan.”
“I suggest you try it!” then she started disappearing from his eyes.
“Wait angel!” Nathan called out. “How am I supposed to choose a book?” But no answer came.
Nathan woke up, the dream still fresh in his memory. ‘Choose a book’ a voice in Nathan’s head said. He crept quietly to mum’s book closet, which had one hundred books in it, and chose a book that looked good. He ran to his room, sat by the fire and started reading. The book was so wonderful! And soon magic started happening. Nathan felt as if he was in that book, and felt different, as if he was in another world. Which, actually, he was! How amazing!
From that day on, Nathan found a loyal friend, who was always loyal.
It was... a book!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!