A Sandy Situation

Finalist in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

There once was a security guard named Bob. Now Bob was not any ordinary security guard because he was the National Guard. Day in day out he guarded the US/Mexican border with his life, facing the perils of meeting the doughnut man and trying to catch melted M&M’s in his mouth. Now one day, as Bob was eating his regular pink iced doughnut with jelly and sprinkles on top, he saw a figure in the distance. For him this was most out of the ordinary because no one ever came past his border post. As the figure came closer he was able to make out a man who was riding a bike and had a mysterious black bag on his back. When the man reached the border, Bob tried to hop out of his cubicle. Then with a loud POP! Bob and his stomach fell out. Bob quickly regained his composure and went to meet the man. “So, what do you want?” questioned Bob. In a strong Mexican accent the man replied “I just want to go into the “US.” Bob nodded, not convinced. “So, what’s in the bag?” he said as he jumped up and pulled out a knife and slashed the bag. And out fell...SAND! In much disappointment Bob dropped to the ground and grabbed some. He smelled like a tracker and quickly (with much difficulty) entered his office. He walked over to the drug machine and put some in. It came up negative so he tried again and again and again and again. He tried until every grain of sand had been tested. With much dissatisfaction he walked out and let the man through. The next day, He was eating his usual doughnut but this time it had double choc icing with marshmallows. Soon after he was done he saw a figure. He walked out and to his dismay it was the same man!
So he went through the same process. And like last time the man was able to pass because all it was, was sand!! This happened for the next 2 weeks and by the end of the two weeks, Bob the security guard was BALD!! Then one day there was no man, there was no sand!! Bob decided to go and celebrate and so he went to the nearest bar and ordered tequila. But as he sat down there next to him was the same man. Bob stood up in absolute horror and cracked. “What have you been doing? Why have you come past everyday with just sand? It is not like the US doesn’t have enough!!” The man, obviously drunk hopped up and put an arm on Bobs shoulder. “Well, have a seat and I’ll tell all” Bob sat down and took a great gulp of his tequila. “Well, man I will get straight to the point.” Bob sat in anticipation. “Well??” Oh, sorry it was pause for effect. Anyway after all that the sand was just a distraction, I was actually smuggling bikes!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!