Dreaming For The Sun

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

All I’ve ever wanted to do was live on the beach.

Even when I was little all I wanted to do was swim in the ocean.

My parents always tell me this story of when I was six, and how I tried to run away from home to swim at the beach. Armed with my towel, goggles and thongs I made my way down the freeway, searching for the sand.

This passion to visit and live on the beach has only gotten bigger and bigger as I have grown, im now a seventeen year old boy saving up to go live near the beach.
The difference between being a six year old running away to live on the beach, and me now, is that I’ve found other teenagers who are exactly the same as me.

We all sit, stand, work, sleep thinking and dreaming of the beach. The crash of the waves and the golden sand, we cant wait to just sit there and let the sun and water soak into us.
Im guessing your sitting there wondering why we didn’t just get in a car and drive to the coast, well the problem is that we live in Alice springs…

Sure we have billabongs and rivers that are heavenly to swim in, but its not the same. We want to feel the crash of the waves and taste the salt in the wind, we want to float on the ocean and bask in the sun watching the seabirds majestically fly over us. We want to tease the fat people and eat an ice-cream while gazing silently at the horizon sharing a moment of complete clarity.

For years I’ve read poems, songs and stories about the beach, about the cool blue water and how it seems to wash all bad things away. Ive read and read and then ive dreamed…but now its my turn to feel. No longer will I sit in the middle of no-where dreaming and imagining the hot sand on my feet, no……now im going to feel it.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!