Happy Ending...

I could hear her sobbing in the room next door. She doesn’t really deserve to have to live like this. She did nothing wrong. They did. I got off my bed and shivered as my feet touched the cold floorboards. They creaked as I stood up. I still wasn’t used emptiness of my new bedroom. There was only 4 pieces of furniture in my room; a bed, a desk, a chair and a chest of draws. The rest of my room was bare. No poster of singers, no phone, no MP3 nothing to signify I was a normal teenager, but then again, I guess I’m not normal.
I remember when I could go out with friends. I was absolutely care free. Everything was perfect, absolutely perfect. Everyone was my friend. I had pretty good marks for school and i had everything. That was then. Not now. We had to move. We had no money and we were evicted from home. We had to sell everything. There was nothing left. Now we were living in a two bedroom apartment in the worst building of the worst street in the worst suburb.
I walked towards the door. I felt around the wall for the light switch, the peeling wallpaper brushing against my hand instead. I flicked the switch and nothing happened. Great! Now my switch doesn’t work. I walked out the door and walked in next door. “Mum, you mind if I sleep with you tonight? It’s cold in my room.” I asked. “Of course darling, I was getting a little cold too” she said sniffling. I got onto the bed and under the soft blanket. Mum got close to me and hugged me tightly. I could feel her wet face touch my neck, sending shivers down my spine.
I laid awake, thinking of what had happened, not sure what a 13 year old could do to make everything better. Mum had fallen asleep a little while ago, with her hands still tightly wrapped around me. I felt a crumpled piece of paper underneath my body. I took the paper out from under my body and looked at it. My eyes started to tear up. It was a photo. There he was, standing with mum the day he left, for the last time. I could see his eyes were filled with sadness but he stood there wearing his uniform with pride. That was the last time I saw dad. At the army base before he was sent to Iraq.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!