Champ The Chick's Egg-citing Day

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

I wake up with a fright, and I realise that everything is pitch-black, and I can’t even see to the end of my small beak! I don’t remember how I got in here. All I know is my name is Champ – short for Champion. And I’ve got to get out of here!
Where am I? Am I in my bed? Am I under my mother’s wing? Anyway, I just need to get out! But I can’t even move a feather! I’ll try kicking, my legs are pushing against the wall, but nothing happens. I’ve got to think about this.
What if I peck? Us cheeky chickens have pretty sharp beaks, so if I tap hard enough my mother might hear me and help me out of this… dark… thingy!
“Tap, tap, tap”… “Tap, Tap, and tap”… “TAP, TAP, and TAP”…
I wait a very long time, and then I try again. My mother still hasn’t heard me. I feel like I’ll never get out of here! What am I going to do? I keep pecking, and pushing and even kicking, but none of it works. Now I’m so tired. I’ll take a giant rest and have another crack at it. Now I’ve got an idea. I’m going to kick my claws straight into the side of this thing and I think it will crack. Here it goes.
“KICK… crack, crack, CrrrrrrrACK”
I, I, I did it! I see light! I feel so strong and muscly, and I’m a champion! I’m so exhausted, but I just want to get out of here. My foot’s stuck, so I’ll use my left leg to crack it open more. Then maybe I can catch someone’s attention.
Finally I’ve got both legs out and now I can roll this thing over so I can walk around. Gee this is small, but it’s heavier than it looks! I think I hear my mother, I walk around, then I bump into something soft and feathery, and the egg cracks a little bit more, but still nobody’s helping me. So much for getting their attention, thanks for nothing you losers! They could at least tell me where to go.
Ouch! That really hurt! I just fell over onto my back, then I realise something, I’m not rocking around, and everything is in pieces. I look around. There are my brothers and sisters. But I can’t see my mum. So I look around, and there she is! She was behind me all along!
I get to my feet, shake off the shell, and run to my friends, enjoying my freedom. I didn’t know shells were so hard. But at least I’m out. I truly am a champion, so I’ve got a perfect name!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!