Just My Luck

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

The night is like ice. The window is covered in frost and I can’t see a thing. As I lift up the window, my fingers feel a jolt of cold. I must get out. I unlock the window and open it. I jump out. The grass is white with frost and the ground is wet. I look around to see if anyone is watching. No, no one. The coast is clear. With everything I need in my bag, I run.

The lamp posts nearly blind me. I’m too used to the dark. As I run, I check my watch. 12:46 AM. Great. I’ll get there on time. I hope. The houses look like they have been in the dark of the night for years. There are absolutely no windows on the houses. They look atrocious. So atrocious, it makes me stop and look. I walk towards a house. It looks a little...red. Blood red.

Alright, this is getting a little creepy. Goodbye house. I walk away. Hold on, the doors opening. Someone steps out. He has long, natural grey hair and light red eyes. He looks about 22. For a 12 year old, like me, kids shouldn’t talk to strangers. I guess I’m a rule-breaker then.
‘Hi there!’ I shout, trying not to wake others up, ‘Can you tell me where Parker Court is?’ No answer. I look around. The moon is out. It’s quite full. I turn around and look back at him. He is still staring at me. Hold on. Blood red walls, No windows, light red eyes...that must mean he’s a...vampire. He looks at me and licks his lips. Just my luck.

I turn around, and start running. But something’s pulling me to him. It must be a great force or something. ‘Come play with me!’ He said. ‘I’ve had no one to play with for a thousand years!’ So much for 22. Ok then. I’ll play your little game. It was just my luck that I brang my sword. Yeah, I got a real one for my birthday when I was 9. Why would I get a sword for my birthday? I open my bag and pull out the sword. It gleams of silver, and it somehow lights the area up around me. I run towards him. He rips a lamp post out of the ground. He came prepared.

I run at him. He swings the lamp post at me, but I duck. Just my luck. I swing the sword at him. I miss, and cut myself by accident. He looks at my blood. His eyes flash a light shade of red. He hisses loudly and jumps at me. I black out.

I’m awake. I’m in the hospital. There is a nurse. She asks: ‘Can you remember anything?’
‘My name is Rory. I’m twelve, and I got a sword for my birthday. I was running away from home because...’ ‘Why?’ I give her a frightened face. ‘My Mum is a vampire..."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!