Alone

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

The loneliest person in the world. Maybe, the only person in the world.
I was a member of a research team to find a mineral long vanished from Earth. We were being sent back in time to when this mineral was abundant. Somehow, the others didn’t make it through before the portal closed. Well, parts of them did......I try not to think about that.
My first view was of a lush green forest, with snow capped mountains in the distance. I’m glad I had my survival pack, I wouldn’t have made it far without it.
The first things I needed to find were water and food. After a short search, I found a small creek. The water was so clean and fresh!! No chemicals!!
Saving my survival rations, I went hunting for food with a makeshift spear. There were many amazing creatures, I felt ashamed to kill any.
I finally managed to spear a fish and cooked it by the creek. It wasn’t a huge feast but a welcome one. Next step was to find shelter. I found a small cave on the edge of a cliff leading to the mountains. Cautiously, I entered. This cave was perfect. Unfortunately, the current owner thought so too. The large cave bear charged with such ferocious speed that it failed to stop when I leapt aside and it fell off the cliff. My Cave!!!
Next morning, I woke up to the fragrance of the morning air filling my lungs. I felt like I could sit for days and just breathe. My days became very repetitive, wake up, kill something, eat it, sleep, quite monotonous.
This morning, I failed to see the ring of stones that I use to mark the place where I last saw the portal. I had hopes that it would reappear. The grass has grown long over my stone circle, and I have now twisted my ankle. Three Sabre-toothed cats have sensed a struggling animal and are closing in.
I ready my walking stick for the attack.
I am really panicking now.
Screaming for help, in utter desperation.
A strike from the left.
I block with my stick, but it snaps in the grip of those enormous jaws.
The assault has knocked me sprawling and I am now at the mercy of the three large cats.
‘This is it’.
A swift lunge from the right, straight at my throat.
I brace for the end but the cat’s head disappears in a gout of blood.
The two remaining cats retreat, howling in terror. I slowly turn to find a team of commandos with Plasma rifles in front of a shimmering wall.
‘I’m saved!’ I scream, and the expressionless commandos drag me into the portal, eyes watchful.
‘Why didn’t you come sooner?’ I say to the leader.
‘What do you mean?’ he replies ‘it’s only been a few hours’.
What has been nearly five years for me has only been a few hours to them.
‘Oh well, no longer alone!’ I sighed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!