Runaway

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

I’m hiding behind our big old gum tree, standing as close to its golden trunk as I can. I hear the old screen door slam, but it doesn’t shut properly. Voices are calling out for me but I never fall for that trick. I look around for an escape route. I see the salt bush but I wait longer, in silence; not moving or making a noise. I poke my head around the side of the tree. I see them walking the fence line like an emu parade, making sure they don’t miss anything. I hear them getting closer, so I move around the edge of the tree. It’s a risky decision exposing myself like this. As I hear them getting closer, they yell out something. I sprint for the salt bush. I just fit through the hole. I feel the branches scratching against me as I move further back, back into the salt bush. I feel safe inside because they can’t fit. I wait there, in the dark, for what feels like hours. I come out slowly looking around to see if they have gone. The coast looks clear so I run for it, and reach the safety of my house. As I open the old screen door, Mum and Dad grab me. Screaming and kicking, I try to get out of their tight grip. They take me to the car and buckle me in, the car door slams. I try to open the door, but the child lock is on. Then they get in and drive off, away from my home. I turn and look out the window with tears rolling down my cheeks. I'm wondering why I have to go to the dentist today.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!