Flightless

Excellence Award in the 'Step Write Up 2011' competition

The sun is a bright fire, burning in my eyes as I dread to wake. I stretch my arms as far as the horizon to touch the seas as I yawn. This is it! The day I have been longing for. The day I take off to see the real world. Mum is already up and begins to make a coffee. My body is fluttering with excitement as I grab my favourite black and yellow striped tee. The TV is blaring noise as I buzz with energy down the stairs.
“Nag nag nag,” is all I could hear through my ears. If only Mum knew when to stop. “Remember this. Do that. Fetch this. Watch that.” It drives me insane!
On the kitchen table is a plate with honey crumpets. My Favourite! Dad walks in and starts giving a lecture about his first time and his most recent and all about the thrill. “Dad!, I’m sure I’ll be fine.”
Then he sits down in front of the plate of honey crumpets and begins to slowly consume them. “Oi, what do you think your doing? Those were for..........”
I cut her off. I knew mum was just trying to help and all but I couldn’t bare it. It was supposed to be my day and about me. It was my 14 Birthday, not my dad’s. And everybody knows that that’s when you fly.
Mum had been preparing me all of yesterday and the whole of today. All the stretches and motions. I’m a little scared but I know that because Chelsea and Anna will be there everything will be fine.
While dad was giving his lecture I picked up a few points, straighten your back, tuck your feet and FLY!
As I edged my way to the Airport, I stumbled over my shoelace. It was, before I tripped over, tied in a very classy bow. A double knot.
My embarrassing mother was glaring at me and before I knew it, was nagging, AGAIN! About how careless I am and why I would tie my shoe lace like that. It went on for what felt like a century.
The sun had set over the horizon and was glistening. My heart was racing, my feet were tingling, my teeth were chattering with nausea. A soft tune from my relaxation cd popped into my mind, calming my nerves.
My friends were all surrounding me as I was prepared to leap. 3, 2, 1 JUMP!!!
Falling. Screaming. So Alone.
Suddenly my wings were flapping, my feet were tucked and I was flying
“I’M FREE!!!!!” Or so I thought...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!